[Gc-announce] GC6.4

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Dec 21 17:46:13 PST 2004

I put version 6.4 of the GC in the usual place
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc6.4.tar.gz)

This is a bug fix release.  A few new ports requiring minor changes
were also added.

It does contain a somewhat risky change on Windows:  The algorithm
for finding dynamic library data sections has changed significantly.
In some cases this is known to result in much smaller root sets,
and thus significantly smaller heaps with the same time performance.
It's correctness relies on a more aggressive interpretation of
the VirtualQuery spec, which appears to hold.  I was able to do
some simple testing.  But more testing, especially on older versions of
Windows, is needed before I make this the default version.

Hans