[Gc] Distributed memory garbage collector

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:17:13 -0700

You might have better luck for questions like this with the gclist@iecc.com list.  The general
idea is to use gc@linux.hpl.hp.com for questions about our ("Boehm-Demers-Weiser") GC and to use
gclist@iecc.com for more general questions about garbage collection.

I'm not a distributed GC expert.  My impression is that the most widely used systems (e.g. Java RMI)
generally layer distributed reference counting or reference listing on the finalization facility of
the underlying collector.  I'm not sure this is horribly difficult to implement, but I also don't know
of stand-alone implementations other than the one you mentioned.  And it requires avoiding distributed cycles,
though local cycles are OK.