[Gc] GC on Darwin/OS X

Brian Alliet brian@brian-web.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:37:49 -0500

I've made significant progress getting everything working on OS X.
After fighting with the pthread_kill method of suspending the threads
for way too long I finally decided to give my mach thread_suspend
implementation another try. Once I fixed a few bugs in that,
miraculously, it worked! Threads and dylibs both seem to be working
very well. Right now my whole tree is somewhat of a mess. Once I clean
it up a bit I'll post a patch against the latest version. I also have a
few things to run by Hans and he seems to be gone till April 1st. In
the mean time, I'd appreciate if anyone running OS X could give it a
try. Here is a link to a tarball of my tree:

http://www.brianweb.net/misc/gc6.2alpha3-darwin-test.tar.gz

To build:
$ ./configure --enable-threads=posix --enable-shared
$ make gctest
Verify gctest is using a shared libgc.dylib (you'll see libgc.1.dylib
in the output)
$ otool -L .libs/gctest

Run gctest (some debug info is still there, ignore that)
$ ./gctest

Hopefully that'll work, now do anything possible to try to make it
break. Running "./gctest  &" 20-30 times is always fun! If you have any
other programs that use the gc try them too.

Finally, let me know if it blows up.

Thanks,

-Brian