[Gc] Incremental collection/thread local free lists problem

Brian Alliet brian@brian-web.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 13:14:12 -0400

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 01:37  AM, Hans Boehm wrote:

> My theory so far was that it was likely to occur only on slow
> multiprocessors, or perhaps for large applications.  Does your
> environment
> fit that description?  If not, there may be another issue.

Its a dual 1ghz g4. I'm just running gctest, with threads. I haven't
been able to reproduce the problem with just a single thread. The
problem seems more likely to occur when the system is under high load.
Running 2 or 3 copies of gctest at the same time usually reproduces the
problem fairly quickly, although it still only happens once every 10 or
so runs. So I guess I'm probably making the system slow just by running
so many copies, looks like this could be the issuei'm facing.

> If I make a 6.2alpha5 available tomorrow, how painful would it be for
> you to switch to that?

It shouldn't be a problem. I was planning on waiting for alpha5 anyway
just to make it easier for you.

Hopefully this will fix the problem. I've been fighting with this for
way too long :)

-Brian