[Gc] GC synchronized with foreign or external threads?

Alec Orr Alec.Orr@wbemsolutions.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:23:37 -0500

Folks:

RH Linux 8.0, Boehm GC6.2

Last July there was some discussion about allowing the GC to attach to
threads from foreign pre-compiled modules (.so's).  I'm interested in
having foreign compiled .so's (which have pthread_create calls inside),
be suspended while the GC runs in our application.  These foreign
threads will also call our API's.  These API's create structures which
reside in the GC heap.  I'm really not interested in redirecting any
existing malloc calls in those threads, only in suspending their threads
while the GC runs.  I have an API that foreign threads must call before
creating the thread, at which point I could inject 'simulation' of a
_REENTRANT and GC_LINUX_THREADS).

Is the wrap.h implementation suggested last August still the recommended
path
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/hosted/linux/mail-archives/gc/2003-July/000138.html)?

Best regards and thanks for any replies,
Alec Orr