[Gc] Python and collected C libraries?

Mark DePristo mdepristo@cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:49:51 +0000

Hi,

We have developed an ab initio conformational sampling program for
proteins over the last several years using the Boehm collector.  We are
considering a transition from a pure C++ program to a small C++ engine
linked into python to ease development of extensions to the system.
Has anyone tried to import a C++ library using the Boehm collector into
a GC language before?  For instance, have GC libraries been hooked into
Java, Scheme, or Lisp?  Are there obvious pitfalls?  Or will everything
just work fine?  I am concerned that the Boehm collector will begin
manipulating the python C interpreter's data structures and all h*ll
will break loose.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Mark DePristo
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Biochemistry