[Gc] Re: Python and collected C libraries?

Swanand Gore swanand@cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:09:41 -0000

Hello All,

I would imagine that for the codesize that RAPPER has, this transition will
take a lot of effort.
If the code doesnt use explicit memory manipulations, garbage collector is not
required. I have not seen GC being used extensively most pbbly because it can
be avoided. Since its always better to remove external dependecies, its worth
considering removal of GC altogether.

Regards
swanand

> We have developed an ab initio conformational sampling program for
> proteins over the last several years using the Boehm collector.  We are
> considering a transition from a pure C++ program to a small C++ engine
> linked into python to ease development of extensions to the system.
> Has anyone tried to import a C++ library using the Boehm collector into
> a GC language before?  For instance, have GC libraries been hooked into
> Java, Scheme, or Lisp?  Are there obvious pitfalls?  Or will everything
> just work fine?  I am concerned that the Boehm collector will begin
> manipulating the python C interpreter's data structures and all h*ll
> will break loose.
>
> Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mark
>
> Mark DePristo
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Dept. of Biochemistry