[Gc] Gc with DirectX

Nicolas Cannasse warplayer@free.fr
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:11:25 +0900

Hello list,

I have a little problem when using the GC with DirectX. On my Dell laptop
running XP there is no problem, the memory used is around 10 Megabytes, but
on some other computer running 2k the memory is growing up to 60 Megabytes
before stopping, and then it looks like the GC is taking a lot of time and
is sometimes even freezing the whole system in the gc_collect_little()
calls. Have someone already experienced such problem ? Turning on
incremental collection does the same result.

My project is made of several DLLs , one running a Virtual Machine and some
others providing the access to several resources. Maybe the problem is
related to the DLLs heap's scanning. Can I have more details on how the
DLL's heaps are detected/scanned by the GC ? Should I try to empty the roots
and the add only the ones I'm actually using ? Maybe that DirectX is
allocating virtual pages with writing access on 2k , and these are scanned
later by the GC ? How can I override this ?

Thanks a lot for this nice sofware,

Nicolas Cannasse