[Gc] Scanning the System Stack

Okehee Goh ogoh at asu.edu
Fri Apr 2 13:17:39 PST 2004

 I looked at linux_threads.c using pthreads.
 I noticed that the thread initiating GC sends SIGSUSPEND to all other
threads. A signal handler for that associated with threads receiving the
signal actually checks a stack top (by calling GC_approx_sp()) and
records that as thread->stack_ptr into GC_thread tables. Here, the
thread initiating GC are blocked by calling sem_wait() to wait until the
threads receiving the signal finishes the work.
 I'm wondering whether there is another way to get a stack top w/o being
blocked? Is sending a signal only way to get it in pthreads?

 Regards,

 Okehee