[Gc] The gcc 3.4 gc-test program boehm-gc/tests/test.c fails on linux 2.6.7 on ix86

John Lumby johnlumby at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 14:12:53 PDT 2004

I tried to instal the gcc version 3.4.1 compiler on linux 2.6.7 running on
intel i686.
build of compiler succeeds but the make check fails when running the
.../gcc-3.4.1/boehm-gc/tests/test.c

test output is
Switched to incremental mode
Emulating dirty bits with mprotect/signals
FAIL: gctest
===================
1 of 1 tests failed

If I run the test on a linux 2.4 kernel, the test succeeds.    So I think it
is not a problem in the compiler but perhaps some incompatibility between
the test program and the newer 2.6 linux.

I tried debugging a little.  I was able to add GC_printfs to see progress of
the threads and re-compile the test.c.
on 2.4.18:
Switched to incremental mode
Emulating dirty bits with mprotect/signals
thread 4000 entering run_one_test
thread 4002 entering run_one_test
thread 8003 entering run_one_test
thread 4000 leaving run_one_test
thread 4002 leaving run_one_test
thread 8003 leaving run_one_test
Completed 3 tests
Allocated 5716744 collectable objects
Allocated 306 uncollectable objects
Allocated 3750000 atomic objects
Allocated 34440 stubborn objects
Finalized 6613/6613 objects - finalization is probably ok
Total number of bytes allocated is 290418232
Final heap size is 12443648 bytes
Collector appears to work
Completed 462 collections

on 2.6.7
Switched to incremental mode
Emulating dirty bits with mprotect/signals
thread 4002 entering run_one_test
thread 4000 entering run_one_test
Killed

I could not find out why the "Killed" not even with gdb.

Can you help at all with this?     I think there is no problem with my
compiler but would like the testcase to work.

John

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.