[Gc] Re: The gcc 3.4 gc-test program boehm-gc/tests/test.c fails on linux 2.

John Lumby johnlumby at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 15 10:29:40 PDT 2004

Thank you Hans.     I extracted latest pthread_stop_world.c from the gcc cvs
( can't tell if this is the same version 6.3alpha6 you stated or newer) and
tried
cd /home/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/boehm-gc;make
but when compiling the new pthread_stop_world.c :
/home/gcc-3.4.1/boehm-gc/pthread_stop_world.c: In function
`GC_push_all_stacks':
/home/gcc-3.4.1/boehm-gc/pthread_stop_world.c:269: error:
`GC_in_thread_creation' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/gcc-3.4.1/boehm-gc/pthread_stop_world.c:269: error: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
/home/gcc-3.4.1/boehm-gc/pthread_stop_world.c:269: error: for each function
it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [pthread_stop_world.lo] Error 1

I guess maybe I also need a newer header file?    Where should
GC_in_thread_creation be defined?

But of course replacing this file is changing the gcc itself, not just a
change to the test suite.   Maybe I can't (or shouldn't) do this in version
3.4.1 ?       But I wonder if there is some simple change to my 3.4.1 tree
that will let the test run correctly?      E,g, would you recommend to
replace the entire boehm_gc dir by the one from cvs and try that?   Is it
completely self-contained and not dependent on version of other gcc
directories?

I understand you said this incremental mode is not used in the gcc itself -
so maybe I should ignore the error and install.     but  I don't like to
"instal" a new gcc that doesn't pass its own tests.

John