[Gc] GC_base returns non null for a freed pointer

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Mon Aug 16 08:28:48 PDT 2004

Guilhem Lavaux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have merged a kaffe interface to gc6.3 in the kaffe's CVS head and
> I've noticed that if I  free an object (using GC_free) GC_base
> continues returning a non-null pointer. Is it the normal behaviour ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Guilhem Lavaux.
>
> P.S.: I have just subscribed to the mailing list so I apologize if the
> question has already been asked.

I am understanding now that the block is marked as invalid only if it is
not a "small object". Small objects are put back in the free list queue
without having been touched which is normal as they are retrieved from
it by allocators. But I would like a possibility to know that the object
has actually been freed...

Regards,

Guilhem Lavaux.