[Gc] Has anyone tried using OpenSSL with GC 6.2 in Linux?

David Jones dej at inode.org
Tue Feb 10 10:36:09 PST 2004

On February 10, 2004 12:54 pm, Boehm, Hans wrote:

> 1) These objects are permanently referenced.  The original code may have
> deallocated them, but left a dangling reference which was (hopefully) never
> followed.

One thing I do to mitigate this: I have a C++ smart pointer GCPtr<T>.
It zeroes its internal pointer in both the constructor and destructor.
The constructor makes initialization a given; the destructor nukes dangling
references when the object is cleaned up from the stack or other
non-collectible source.

Of course the destructor is not called when the GC cleans up an object that
references another, but I don't care in this case.

There's not much you can do in third-party code, though.