[Gc] Regarding Data structures

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Thu Feb 26 09:49:02 PST 2004

I assume you looked at

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gcdescr.html ?

Everything is allocated in chunks whose size is a multiple of HBLKSIZE,
and which are aligned to HBLKSIZE.

Small objects are allocated by dividing a HBLKSIZE-sized chunk into equal
pieces.

There is a separate data structure, the two level tree, which maps each
chunk to a corresponding header.  The lookup is done by taking different
pieces of a block address (typically 10 or 12 bits at a time) and using
it to index into nodes at one level of a tree.  This is very similar to
how the virtual-to-physical address mapping is handled on most hardware.

If this still isn't clear, more specific questions would be helpful in
clarifying the text on the web page.