[Gc] HPUX and pthread.

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Mar 1 10:58:27 PST 2004

Unfortunately, I generally test on HP/UX only with the compiler that happens to be
installed on my local machines, which is the HP compiler in this case.

Please try building with USE_PTHREAD_SPECIFIC defined.  This is likely to avoid
the problem at some performance cost.  Please let me know if this works, and I'll
make it the default for that environment.  (I'm not sure why gcc doesn't support
__thread on HP/UX, given that the HP compiler was one of the first to do so,
and gcc does on Linux.  But I'm also not in a position to fix that.)

If you are comfortable modifying the code, and would like better performance for
thread-local allocation, you can try arranging for neither USE_PTHREAD_SPECIFIC
nor USE_HPUX_TLS (recently renamed to USE_COMPILER_TLS) to be defined at the top
of pthread_support.c.  That uses the collector's own thread-local storage
implementation, which may be faster than the pthread one.  But I'm not sure it will
work out of the box in your environment.  And the code involved is much trickier
than one would like.