[Gc] Need understanding of GC_mark_from

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Mar 1 13:39:31 PST 2004

All the PUSH_CONTENTS macros check the pointer "current" for validity and,
if it's valid, mark the current object and push a descriptor for it on the
mark stack, so that it can be traced later.

HC_PUSH_CONTENTS tries to speed up the operation a bit by reducing the necessary
number of header lookups.  It maintains a small cache of block addresses and
corresponding headers that were recently looked up.  If a block address is in
the cache, it uses the cached value, otherwise it uses the standard technique.
Last I measured this, it's a small win; the standard lookup technique is only a few
more memory references anyway.