[Gc] Scanning the System Stack

wlight at weatherlight.com wlight at weatherlight.com
Mon Mar 29 12:42:26 PST 2004

I apologize if I'm sending this email off topic or out of turn, but I am
new to this mailing list.

I'm a graduate student at the University of Florida.  I'm presently
working on an independent study of garbage collection, and my final
project for the independent study is to be the implementation of a
garbage collection library in C that should be able to run on, at a
minimum, Solaris 8 for a SPARC or GNU/Linux for an Intel.  I've got a
lot of design decisions already made, but one thing is still evading me-
how do I scan the system stack and the registers?  I'm certain there's a
reasonably portable way to do this, but I can't figure it out.  If
anyone could send me a pointer or two on this, I'd be deeply appreciative.

I've downloaded the source code for the Boehm-Demers-Weiser collector,
hoping to find it in there, but I'm having trouble really working out
the source code in my head (most likely because so much of it seems to
be there to support various systems).

--
Rhett.