[Gc] gc6.3alpha5

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Mar 30 11:34:57 PST 2004

I still didn't manage to release a "stable" version.  But enough
bug fixes had accumulated that I decided it made sense to release
another "alpha" version in the usual place:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc6.3alpha5.tar.gz

Details (also as usual) are in

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/recent_changes

It was pointed out to me that there are some problems with the
current -DUSE_MUNMAP code.  It could be overly aggressive in unmapping
free blocks, particularly when GC_gc_no wraps by overflowing an
unsigned short, but also as a result of block merging.  I fixed the
code to behave more like what I thought it should do, but this
may have adverse effects on some applications.  (I convinced myself
that this is really the wrong approach; longer term we need a
separate data structure to keep track of when a memory page was last
used.  But I haven't implemented that yet.)

There are some other changes in this version to enable a cleaner interface
and debugging support for clients such as gcj.  There were some
oversights in some of the more obscure parts of the GC interface.
This may require minimal changes for some very sophisticated clients.

I have tested this a bit with the "SDK" command-line tools that come with
VC++.Net.  (I tend to avoid the GUI build environments due to lack of
"project" file standardization and poor Makefile support.)