[Gc] gc6.3 MacOSX problems

Stefan Ring e9725446 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 13 05:48:27 PST 2004

Andrew Begel wrote:
> I wrote the code that's crashing for you. It should work fine as long as
> your stack frames conform to the Darwin/OSX PowerPC ABI. I'm not sure
> how your cacao implements Java stack frames, but if it uses the pthread
> stack to do it, the stack frame walker's purpose is to find the top of
> the stack given a pointer on the stack. Since the stack frame is defined
> in the ABI, I took advantage of knowing where the link register was put
> to walk the stack back to the top. If your stack doesn't conform, then
> this code will definitely crash.

That's very good info, thanks. We do some nasty stuff on the stack so,
after reading this, it's not surprising that it crashes. What exactly is
the advantage of your stack walking approach compared to the earlier way
of doing things, and what could we expect by somehow disabling it
(backing out your changes somehow)?