[Gc] valgrind and the GC

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Nov 14 15:32:34 PST 2004

I get a lot of errors in the GC code from the Valgrind memcheck tool
when running my garbage collected app.  I'm curious if anyone knows if
this is due to actual errors in the GC (which should then be fixed) or
if it's simply because the GC is doing funky but correct things that
Valgrind doesn't understand (in which case is it possible to modify
Valgrind or provide rule-suppression files to make it friendly with the
GC library).

Valgrind's memcheck is still pretty useful even with the GC, as it finds
invalid writes and memory leaks from non-GCd allocations.  I'd like to
be able to easily use the tool without getting tons of spurious GC-
related warnings.