[Gc] FreeBSD threads

Scott L. Burson Scott at solidcore.com
Thu Nov 18 12:35:13 PST 2004

On Thu November 18 2004 11:48 am, Boehm, Hans wrote:
> Is gcj included on FreeBSD systems?  That would be another
> reasonable indication.

I found the following in the GCC platform notes:

"In principle, --enable-threads is now compatible with --enable-libgcj on
FreeBSD. However, it has only been built and tested on i386-*-freebsd[45] and
alpha-*-freebsd[45]. The static library may be incorrectly built (symbols are
missing at link time). There is a rare timing-based startup hang (probably
involves an assumption about the thread library). Multi-threaded boehm-gc
(required for libjava) exposes severe threaded signal-handling bugs on
FreeBSD before 4.5-RELEASE. Other CPU architectures supported by FreeBSD will
require additional configuration tuning in, at the very least, both boehm-gc
and libffi."

I'm using i386 and FreeBSD 5, so some of these are non-problems for me.  The
"rare timing-based startup hang" could be a problem if it's a function of the
GC itself, but more likely it's a GCJ runtime issue.

I'll try the other tests when I get a chance (could be a while, as I've been
moved to another project).  Basically, though, this is encouraging.

-- Scott