[Gc] PRINT_STATS kind, and free_space_divisor

Bruce Hoult bruce.hoult at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:07:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:37:10 -0800, Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:
> A large free_space_divisor setting will have the effect you describe.

Just a thought for the future.

I've found consistently for a number of years, on everything from 200
MHz to 3+ GHz machines, that the Gwydion Dylan compiler and generated
programs run the fastest with as large a free_space_divisor as
possible.  I know some people are more RAM-constrained but I always
set the divisor to 2, which results in d2c compiling itself getting up
to about 100 - 120 MB peak instead of as little as 60 MB (but much
much slower) with a higher divisor setting.

The problem is that the settings are *very* coarse at that end of the
scale.  The jump from 3 to 2 is huge, and 1 means "never GC at all".
It would be really nice to have more intermediate settings at that end
of the scale, perhaps a float instead of an integer?  Or maybe
introduce an integer scaling factor, so that 2 or 3 becomes 20 or 30?
(or a binary scaling factor...)