[Gc] PRINT_STATS kind, and free_space_divisor

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Nov 24 15:55:04 PST 2004

I looked at the collector code some more.  We're still missing a bit
of information here.

I assume you have GC_DUMP_REGULARLY set.  This actually dumps
the heap state from GC_finish_collection just after marking, but
before finalization.  Normally this doesn't matter much.  But since
you have 8000 finalizable objects, those may reference a fair amount of
memory, which should get marked during the GC_finalize() call.
Temporarily adding a COND_DUMP; after that call would be interesting,
to see whether the live data changes.

A more compact way to get live data information would be to rebuild
the collector without -DSILENT.

Especially if the results after GC_finalize() don't look much different,
it would also be very interesting to call GC_dump() when
GC_expand_hp_inner() is invoked (with a suitable GC_printf0(...)
to identify it in the log, or by calling it from the debugger),
to see what the heap looks like then.  Somehow the collector thinks
it's sufficiently full, and we seem to disagree.

Perhaps the latter would give us some insight as to why HBLKSIZE matters.
I think it really shouldn't.  The heap snapshots in your log show many
entirely empty pages few large objects, and an entirely unfragmented
large block free lists.  All of this suggests there is no fragmentation
problem at all, and HBLKSIZE should be basically irrelevant.

Reducing HBLKSIZE to 256 probably adds substantial space overhead for
block headers, which wouldn't show up in the statistics.  Thus I would
avoid that.  My guess is that 512 and up is OK.