[Gc] __libc_stack_end not weak

Ben Hutchings ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com
Thu Oct 21 04:39:47 PDT 2004

I'm building version 6.1 of the GC on a Debian system which is a
mixture of woody and sarge.  I am trying to run the complete
executable on a Red Hat system (a chroot environment based on RHEL
3.0), but the dynamic linker reports:

"relocation error: (name of executable): symbol __libc_stack_end,
version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link
time reference"

os_dep.c uses "#pragma weak __libc_stack_end" so we should be able
to live without it.  However, when I look at the executable with
"readelf -Ds", I see:

Symbol table for image:
  Num Buc:    Value  Size   Type   Bind Vis      Ndx Name
  149 128: 08270a44     4  OBJECT GLOBAL DEFAULT  24 __libc_stack_end

Shouldn't there be a "WEAK" in the Bind column?  What might be the
cause for it being "GLOBAL" instead?

Ben.