[Gc] "relocation truncated to fit" link error

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Apr 4 16:41:04 PDT 2005

Dan -

David is right that a reference to _end seems to require too large
a displacement from the global offset table.  But, especially in
the case of gctest, it sounds to me like something here is broken.
There aren't nearly enough symbols (by a few orders of magnitude)
to legitimately cause this problem.

I can't reproduce the problem with GNU ld version 2.5 and gcc 3.3.4.
Which version of ld are you using?  The second ChangeSet
description in http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0406/9938.html
suggests that a similar problem isn't unheard of with 2.14.90, but
I don't know whether this is the same issue.