[Gc] 6.2 to 6.4 change?

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Apr 22 14:47:58 PDT 2005

It's surprising to me.  I haven't seen such behavior.

The current heap expansion heuristic is not
as robust as I would like, so it's not mathematically impossible that
this would happen for no good reason.  (This should be fixed in the
experimental 7.0 tree.  You should be able to work around it with a
smaller free_space_divisor.)  But I'm definitely suspicious that
something
beyond this is going wrong here.

What's your platform?  There were some major changes for Windows,
but I would have expected them to have the opposite effect, if any.

It would be good to run both versions with the GC_DUMP_REGULARLY
environment variable defined, and see if there are any differences
in the sizes of static roots.  If not, the next step is to
place a breakpoint in GC_expand_hp_inner in the 6.4 version, run it
until one of the last heap expansions, and then try to understand
why it's being called in spite of the mostly empty heap.