[Gc] RAM enough but out of virtual memory?

Zhang Le 69dbb24b2db3daad932c457cccfd6 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:56:09 PDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:
> What's your platform?
Linux 2.6 smp (2 PIII cpus) with 512 RAM, but threading is disabled in GC.

> Can you run the program with the GC_PRINT_STATS and
> GC_DUMP_REGULARLY environment variables set, and capture the
> resulting log?
>
> That would tell us a lot more ...
The log file is too big to paste here, please see:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0450736/tmp/log.txt (GC_PRINT_STATS, 20k)
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0450736/tmp/log2.txt
(GC_PRINT_STATS+GC_DUMP_REGULARLY, 5.2M)

Interestingly, when I try to run my program on a Linux machine with 4G
RAM, it stops at the same position as on the 512 RAM machine. I'd
expected it runs longer!  Also, I keep getting warning message like:
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 20480):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
after it consumes more than 400MB vram, though real RAM used is always
under 100MB reported by top.

Zhang Le