[Gc] porting to OSE

Christopher Inacio cinacio at mac.com
Sat Nov 26 12:51:40 PST 2005

Hello,

	I've been reading through the various bits of documentation and
code, and I would like to port the library to OSE.  I've used it
previously with GCJ on Linux.  It doesn't seem like it should be that
difficult to implement on OSE.  I already know enough of the low
level internals, and low level calls to get all of the various
process information bits to do the sweep & mark operations.  OSE also
has a handy "stop" call which stops a process which can then be
restarted with "start".  I'm not worried about the fundamental calls
to implement the system; but I'm not exactly sure at this point how
they would fit in.

Can somebody point me to a porting guide, (maybe one of the papers I
didn't read,) to help me along.  Otherwise, I need to understand
enough of the internals to understand where the OS hooks get placed
into the library in order to walk across all the process/threads to
do the marking of the blocks.

I also have one last question about blocks of memory that are
allocated in the application and then passed into the kernel.  The
application doesn't have to keep track of these blocks in all cases;
the kernel in some cases will make some type of call back with the
block address included and which point the application can free the
block.  This wouldn't get captured in the marking process --- is
there a provision for this?

Thanks,
Chris Inacio