[Gc] RE: how to prevent mark stack overflows in GC_push_other_roots ?

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Sep 12 14:52:44 PDT 2005

The logic behind this is:

0) We have to be able to recover from running out of memory/swap space
during marking.  If a process does run out of memory allocating small
objects, this is often where the problem shows up.  We end up allocating
all available memory, and then forcing a collection.  The collection has
to deal with a larger heap than it has seen before, and thus often needs
a larger mark stack.  But it can't be grown, because we just allocated
all of the heap.  (There is some argument that a Unix process can't
reliably recover from running out of memory anyway, and I think in
practice that's true.  But based on experience, there seems to be a
strong preference for 98% reliability over, say, 60% reliability in
dealing with the situation.)

1) There are two methods for dealing with roots:
	Eager: Scan the root section immediately, mark any objects
referenced, and push the contents of the objects onto the mark stack if
they haven't been previously marked.  It is hard to bound the number of
entries we push onto the mark stack this way.  But an overflow is
fundamentally OK, since it can only occur after we have marked objects,
thus ensuring forward progress.
	Lazy: Push the entire root section with GC_push_all, without
marking anything.  Overflowing the mark stack while doing this many
times is bad.  If we have to drop these and start over due to an
overflow, we've made no progress.

2) We first perform a bounded number of lazy pushes, and then do an
unbounded number of eager pushes.  The lazy pushes can't possibly
overflow the mark stack.  It is OK if the eager ones do, since we can
handle that.  If GC_push_all ran into a mark stack overflow, it aborts,
since something went seriously wrong, and we might otherwise end up in
an infinite mark loop.

In fact, we now do a bounded number of eager pushes early, as a result
of eagerly marking part of the GCs own stack.  But I think that's still
OK.  (Looking at the code, I think there is at least a theoretical issue
with the way the IA64 register backing store is handled.  I'll have to
reexamine that.)

I gather that you can have an unbounded number of regions, or at least
contiguous region sections?  Or you call GC_push_all_stack on each
object?  The crashes occur during the GC_push_other_roots call itself?

You might try calling GC_push_all_eager() instead, and making sure that
this occurs after the stack contents are pushed.  Especially if you have
a large number of pointers into the garbage-collected heap, or if these
regions are large relative to the garbage collected heap and you are
using the parallel collector, this may turn into a performance problem.
But at least it should be correct.