[Gc] OS X patch against 6.8: segfault fix (and other OS X fixes)

Allan Hsu allan at counterpop.net
Wed Dec 13 16:44:01 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Boehm, Hans wrote:
[...]
> I put Allan's patch basically unchanged into the potential 6.9 tree,
> since it's an outright bug fix for existing platforms.  I'm not
> currently inclined to put the rest of the changes there.
[...]

Good to hear. That bug was the cause of a lot of intermittent
crashing for me.

> In reading the code, I was unconvinced that the X86_64 bit code
> currently makes sense.  (Presumably those extra 8 registers need to be
> traced?)  Nor do I know to what extent Apple supports that, and it's
> supposed to make sense.
>
> Hans
[...]

I'm not sure which patch you're referring to here. If you're talking
about the MACHINE_THREAD_STATE patch, that patch should not change
behavior... it's just required for source compatibility with the new
i386 Mach headers that ship with XCode 2.4. They changed the value of
MACHINE_THREAD_STATE on i386 but current kernels don't understand the
new value, just the old one, which is still accessible by its old
name, i386_THREAD_STATE. It's a really puzzling change that makes
MACHINE_THREAD_STATE unusable for anybody that wants to generate code
for i386.

	-Allan

--
Allan Hsu <allan at counterpop dot net>
1E64 E20F 34D9 CBA7 1300  1457 AC37 CBBB 0E92 C779