[Gc] The difference when setting initial-heap-size and not?

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Thu Feb 2 06:19:50 PST 2006

Hi,

I know I'm jumping all around the scene now, but in the attempt do
produce GC-dumps for my other news thread I discovered something I found
peculiar.
When starting my application without an initial heap size, but with a
maximum heap size, I end up in a steady state with:

***Blocks in use:
--- 8< ---
blocks = 887, bytes = 3801088

However, if I specify an initial heap size of 14megs, the resulting
steady state says:

***Blocks in use:
blocks = 1499, bytes = 6307840

There is no difference between the resulting steady states over
different runs, and it's reproducable.

Maybe I just don't understand the concept "Blocks in use", but as I read
it, it indicates the amount of memory actually being referred to by my
application.
Am I all wrong?

BR,
  Martin