[Gc] Understanding why GC'ing increases to the double in time?

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Sat Jan 28 01:03:03 PST 2006

Hi,

Didn't quite know whether I should have kept this on the GCJ list, but
here goes anyway:

Prehistory - in short: I have "GC world stopped" times of ~400 ms on my
embedded PPC 133 Mhz platform running GCJ compiled code. I would like to
decrease that time...

Now, I have noticed that before "activating/touching" certain parts of
my application (different parts may do it), the world stop times
suddenly "doubles".

I would like to know/understand why. I've attached some dumps from the
same "session" showing that I start with world stop times off ~200 ms,
and ending up with ~360 ms. I notice the log files are bigger - due to
the increased amount of blocks. Is that the same reason the world-stop
times are increased?

Best regards,
   Martin Egholm