[Gc] Weak pointers - strong enough for real-world use?

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Jan 28 11:13:41 PST 2006

gcc_support.c was really added in an aborted attempt to implement
something like the Ellis-Detlefs Safe C++ proposal.  Its weak
pointer support is built on the "disappearing_link" support, which
is listed in gc.h and always included.

The "disappearing_link" support will stay.  If you need the higher
level layer from gcc_support.c, I would recommend cloning what you
need as part of your code.

If there is a strong feeling that pieces of gcc_support.c should stay
in the collector, that can certainly be discussed.  My feeling is that
it was mostly an accident that it was still in 6.6.

Hans