[Gc] Re: Heap size and stop-the-world collections

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Wed Jul 12 05:35:55 PDT 2006

Hi,

Lothar Scholz <scholz at scriptolutions.com>
writes:

> The reason is that the gc is not a generational collector. It's a very
> simple stop-mark-sweep implementation.

According to [0]:

  The collector uses a mark-sweep algorithm. It provides incremental and
  generational collection under operating systems which provide the
  right kind of virtual memory support. (Currently this includes
  SunOS[45], IRIX, OSF/1, Linux, and Windows, with varying
  restrictions.)

So, since I'm using GNU/Linux (PPC), setting `GC_ENABLE_INCREMENTAL',
intuitively, should yield a nice improvement for my use case.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/