[Gc] gcc prefetch accidentally disabled

Peter Wang wangp at students.csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 19 23:53:58 PDT 2006

On 2006-07-19, Hans Boehm <Hans.Boehm at hp.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I checked the patch into 7.0 CVS.  If there is a 6.9 release
> I'll include it there, too.
>
> Any idea whether there is a significant performance impact?  It
> seems to vary greatly across platforms.
>
> Hans

It seems to make the Mercury compiler ~4% faster (in a particular
configuration).  This is with gcc 3.3.5.

BTW, when the collector is compiled with gcc 3.4.4 it seems to be around
10% slower (nothing to do with the prefetching change, and the rest of
Mercury compiled with gcc 3.4.4).  Have you seen that before?

Peter