[Gc] Re: Understanding why GC'ing increases to the double in time?

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Mon Mar 13 02:55:34 PST 2006

> It may well be that your operation A allocates and drops a moderately
> large strongly-connected data structure, and operation B stores some
> large integers in a place in which they are conservatively scanned, and
> appear to point to the first data structure.  There are probably other
> possible scenarios along these lines, and some of them probably involve
> real pointers, instead of misidentified ones.
My pursue continues, and I'm now able to provoke it by taking operation
A (the complex one) out of the picture, and invoking some other rather
simple operation C.
That made me suspect that the dropping of "large strongly-connected data
structure" you're referring to in the above, is something I drop during
the initialisation of my application.
However, I tried removing some things in order to make the init-phase
simpler, but nevertheless - I still get the 600k composite increase.

So, I guess I'm kinda stuck until I get a hint to what these extra 600k
may consist of, or some other ideas :-)

// Martin