[Gc] A stupid question about configure and -DCONFIG_LARGE

Petter Urkedal petter.urkedal at nordita.dk
Fri Mar 17 08:30:22 PST 2006

[Hans: Sorry about the dupe, I forgot to _group_ reply.]
On 2006-03-16, Boehm, Hans wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> However, --enable-large-config is already in the 7.0alpha tree.

I found it.  Thanks for the public CVS, it eases the maintainance of private
patches.  I already found the SourceForge page, but dismissed the CVS as out
of date because the project page says "0 commits, 0 adds".  That looks like
a SourceForge bug, doesn't it?

> Note that I haven't been very good about releasing regular snapshots of
> the 7.0 tree.  However, the current CVS source tree is on sourceforge.
> The main GC page gives instructions for retrieving a copy via cvs.  It
> can be browsed at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bdwgc/bdwgc/ .
> Currently Tom Tromey, Paolo Malaro, and I have write access, though so
> far, I think I'm still the only one who has checked code into the tree.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the second half of the patch does,
> probably because I'm not enough of an autoconf/automake expert.  The
> original intent was to turn gcj support on by default.  Does your patch
> still do that?

The problem with the original is that the line

    enable_gcj_support=no

overwrites the --enable-gcj-support option passed on the command line,
since the command line is processed at the start of configure rather
than by the code produced by AC_ARG_ENABLE.

If you want GCJ enabled by default then it's a matter of deleting the
enable_gcj_support=no line, and update the help string to reflect the new
default, as the patch below does.

Petter

*** configure.ac.orig   2006-03-17 16:59:08.000000000 +0100
--- configure.ac        2006-03-17 17:21:40.000000000 +0100
***************
*** 406,416 ****
  dnl
  dnl By default, make the library as general as possible.

- dnl :FIXME: gcj does not work as of gc-7.0_alpha2, so default set to no.
- enable_gcj_support=no
  AC_ARG_ENABLE(gcj-support,
!     [AC_HELP_STRING([--enable-gcj-support],
!       [Enable support for gcj.])])
  AM_CONDITIONAL(ENABLE_GCJ_SUPPORT,
      [test x"$enable_gcj_support" != xno])
  if test x"$enable_gcj_support" != xno; then
--- 406,414 ----
  dnl
  dnl By default, make the library as general as possible.

  AC_ARG_ENABLE(gcj-support,
!     [AC_HELP_STRING([--disable-gcj-support],
!       [Disable support for gcj.])])