[Gc] Re: Determining alignment constraints

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue May 9 18:07:31 PDT 2006

> > Are there other properties that it would be useful to
> export as a macro?
>
> Yes: the version number.  Ideally, both via macro(s) and C
> symbol(s) so that one can check that the headers that were
> used correspond to the shared library at hand (zlib uses this
> technique).
That's actually mostly there, but I think the header is not currently installed.  See version.h in the main directory.  This does result in a GC_version symbol you can check dynamically.

> > I guess my view is that you shouldn't install a nongeneric build
> > someplace where autoconf can find it.  On the other hand, the
> > build-time options do seem to be useful for some applications that
> > include the library, and do not install it separately (of which we
> > currently probably have too many).
>
> For 7.x, are there plans to limit compile-time switches in
> order to reduce the need to bundle the library within
> application packages?

That has been a long term goal.  I think it's now mostly OK, except I'm not entirely enthusiastic about some of the compromises.

A major reason the GC is bundled with gcj is that it avoids a dynamic library call on the allocation path, which would otherwise be significant.  Version 7 has a hopefully more usable in-line allocation facility that I would hope would eliminate that need.

Things like GC_all_interior_pointers can already be set dynamically, though they need to be set at start up, i.e. before other GC calls, since they do alter GC data structures.

I would like to see the debugging stuff always compiled in, but that requires some more major changes, to avoid significant performance problems, and it's a slightly different problem.

gc7 does have better logging support built in by default.

Now if I could actually get to the sourceforge cvs server ...