[Gc] nobody out there has experienced with USE_MUNMAP?

Glauco Masotti glauco.masotti at virgilio.it
Fri May 12 01:19:51 PDT 2006

Hello. I understand that you gurus (:-) are interested in other details of the software...
but nobody out there has experienced the same heap growth problems that I described in my previous post?
(Too bad that the graphs of memory management cannot be shared).

As I said, in my case, the USE_MUNMAP option produces a much better behavior in memory management.
What is reported in the GC documentation about this, is just what follows:

"Heap fragmentation. This should never result in unbounded growth, but it may account for larger heaps. This is most commonly caused by allocation of large objects. On some platforms it can be reduced by building with -DUSE_MUNMAP, which will cause the collector to unmap memory corresponding to pages that have not been recently used. "

Which is not much, and does not correspond exactly to what I observed.
Nobody has to comment or to share experience?

Thanks a lot in advance.
--- Glauco Masotti