[Gc] External thread suspension (again)

Keith Seitz keiths at redhat.com
Fri May 26 14:41:47 PDT 2006

Including GC list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [RFC] GC: external thread suspension
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:39:58 -0700
From: Keith Seitz <keiths at redhat.com>
To: Java Patch List <java-patches at gcc.gnu.org>

Okay, since it has been relatively quiet for the past week, I thought I
would turn this into an official RFA.

I'm going to be conservative, and offer up for approval the patch
suggested by Hans Boehm, using GC_start/end_blocking. It is much simpler
than my original patch.

In order to modify gc.h, it looks like I need to ifdef stuff. Since I've
only done this for pthreads, I've made a best guess as to the proper
conditions. Let me know if there are any problems with this.

Keith

ChangeLog
2006-05-25  Keith Seitz  <keiths at redhat.com>

           * pthread_stop_world.c (GC_suspend_handler): Redirect to
suspension
           routine if signal is received and thread is flagged SUSPENDED.
           (GC_suspend_self): New function.
           (GC_suspend_thread): New function.
           (GC_resume_thread): New function.
           * include/gc.h (GC_suspend_self): Declare.
           (GC_suspend_thread): Declare.
           (GC_resumet_thread): Declare.
           * include/private/pthread_support.h (SUSPENDED): New GC_thread
           flag.