[Gc] Out of Memory! Returning NIL!

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Nov 13 17:52:38 PST 2006

It would be useful to look at a more complete GC log (either define the
GC_PRINT_STATS environment variable, or compiler the collector without
-DSILENT).

Assuming your application normally uses much less than 1 GB, possible
causes are:

1) You are allocating large objects containing seemingly random
bit-patterns.  If that's the case, these may appear to the collector to
be pointers.  The C++ proposal addresses this issue with declaration
that allow the implementation to use type information.  For now, the
standard solution is to make sure GC_malloc_atomic is used for those
objects.  You should see this as very little memory reclaimed by the GC
and regular heap expansions, with a large final heap size.

2) You are internally using some form of custom allocation by obtaining
pools of objects from the collector.  This is generally not a good idea
with a garbage collector.  Symptoms will probably be similar.

3) This is caused by a single huge allocation request due to memory
corruption.  This should be apparent form the log.

4) Something else.

Hans