[Gc] gc with trie

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 13 19:26:06 PST 2006

FYI I have some concern using gc since it seems to exclude
use of a digital trie.

One use is a system with an exact partial collector with conservative
gc running in background to reclaim unmanaged store. (The application
is a programming language with exact collector which supports
interfacing to C/C++ applications which might themselves be
collected with BRD-gc).

I guess there is a way to organise this so it causes no
problems, for example the exact collector can allocate
from store provided by the BRD-conservative gc, which is
told not to scan but not collect that region?

Any hints on how to organise this?

Any comments on multi-threading would be of interest too
(my exact gc currently does a 'world stop' on all allocating
threads which is a serious PITA ..)

BTW: the system is Felix. Of interest would be embedding
the Neko VM which uses BRD-gc as its collector. Felix
does not use a digital trie at the moment but I'm looking
at it as a way to improve the collector.