[Gc] RE: GC_gcollect and memory usage increase

Simon Tsai mtsai at adobe.com
Wed Nov 29 15:05:32 PST 2006

I trace the gc library and found out I need turn on
GC_OPERATOR_NEW_ARRAY flag in my application (c++). I need call GC_FREE
for GC_MALLOC. One of my applications will run ok. But I have another
application; it keeps allocating memory with GC_MALLOC_UNCOLLECTABLE and
free memory with GC_FREE. It also calls GC_MALLOC. From my trace, the
GC_MALLOC_UNCOLLECTABLE can accumulate a few GBytes. The GC_MALLOC may
only have 100 Mbytes. When my application calls GC_gcollect() &
GC_invoke_finalizers() , the memory starts to jump.
Questions:
1. Does gc library really free UNCOLLECTABLE memory? Or it just keeps
the memory in library for reuse?
2. When does gc library free UNCOLLECTABLE memory?
3. Do I call GC_gcollect and GC_invoke_finalizers at the same time? Or I
just need call GC_gcollect every few minutes?

simon