[Gc] Status of gc on Mac OS X running on intel proc ?

Renaud Blanch renaud.blanch at imag.fr
Fri Sep 29 06:01:31 PDT 2006

Le 28 sept. 06 à 23:02, Boehm, Hans a écrit :

> Thanks.  It looks like there are two issues here:
>
> 1) Thread_get_state usually fails in gctest.  The calling code is at
> around line 100 in darwin_stop_world.c.  It would be good to see if
> you
> can get more information from the return code or anything else to
> figure
> out why this is happening.  I think this is the most serious problem.

I have investigated this issue.
thread_get_state returns KERN_INVALID_ARGUMENT.
It seems related to the usage of the generic MACHINE_THREAD_STATE*
constants.
When replaced with specific i386_THREAD_STATE* constant, every thing
works on my machine (configured with --enable-threads=posix).
You will find below a patch that replace MACHINE_* with PPC_* or
i386_ constants according to he POWERPC or I386 defines.
I don't understand why MACHINE_* constants are not defined properly
(is it related to my system, a bug in Apple headers, or a problem
with configure), but the patch does the work and should work with PPC
architecture (not tested).

The patch also comments a call to GC_printf3 which was done when
DEBUG_THREADS is set, but this function does not seem to exist in the
gc7.0alpha7 distribution.