[Gc] Re: conclusions (benchmarking, compilation, failures)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Fri Apr 27 13:17:59 PDT 2007

On 4/27/07, Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar at otenet.gr> wrote:
> I know C/C++ with gc can be faster than Java...but until I can compile
> this library, I can not prove it.

Why do you "know" this?  Java has a very good garbage collector (and
code generator), too.  Some implementations of Java (eg, mine, gcj,
etc) even use libgc.  You can tweak & twist benchmarks, but you'll
have a hard time winning a language war based solely on garbage
collection metrics.  Better arguments involve language
maturity/stability, availability of tools/libraries, etc, but
ultimately language choice is a matter of theology.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )