[Gc] Re: conclusions (benchmarking, compilation, failures)

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Apr 27 22:33:53 PDT 2007

Hello Achilleas,

Saturday, April 28, 2007, 3:08:31 AM, you wrote:

AM> You have a point. Unfortunately, my company was a C++ shop and now we
AM> are moving to Java, and these numbers don't help me persuade them that
AM> we should stay with C++ for some projects.

AM> I know C/C++ with gc can be faster than Java...but until I can compile
AM> this library, I can not prove it.

Hmmm, i see you just move your room down there in development hell.
At least for me like an eiffel user. I have to tell you that a lot of
the benefits in memory consumption/speed from eiffel comes that many
objects are mutable (a benefit that is also valid for C++). If you
reduce the total number of objects and reuse them this makes a
difference.

And this is normally not the development style you see in java.
Objects may be cheaper but it still sums up if you generate millions
of them and have to collect them again and again.

I don't want to comment other points of the Java <-> C++ decision,
because i don't like both of them.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com