[Gc] bdw-gc.pc: Cflags: -I${includedir}/pc ?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Aug 23 04:49:43 PDT 2007

Petter Urkedal wrote:
> On 2007-08-21, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> In gc-7.0, bdw-gc.pc includes:
>> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>> shouldn't that be:
>> Cflags: -I${includedir}/gc
>
> That's a matter of opinion.  Many libraries are installed so that you
> use one directory-prefix in the include headers...
> When I submitted boehm-gc.pc which is now bdw-gc.pc, I went with this
> convention also because before the .pc file existed, people must have
> used a gc/ prefix in their includes.

Not necessarily.  The default install of gc < 7 put a copy of gc.h at
/usr/include/gc.h, which is what prompted my question.  I have at least
one application (Macaulay2) that failed to build now because of that.

Now, I don't care either way, I just would like to know that the
official/prefered method for apps to use gc's header files.  Is
#include <gc.h> (and using -I/usr/include/gc)
or
#include<gc/gc.h>
expected/prefered usage?

-- Rex