[Gc] Re: Naming of debug version libraries

Achilleas Margaritis axilmar at otenet.gr
Fri Dec 7 02:49:03 PST 2007

O/H Boehm, Hans έγραψε:
> At least on Linux, I don't see much of a convention along these lines.  Do you have examples?  Where you referring to a particular platform?
>
> Hans

To tell you the truth, my target platform is Windows (not because of
preference, but because of contracts). Almost all debug versions of
libraries these days, under Windows, come with a 'd' suffix at the end,
making it easy to link them against the debug version of a program. Some
examples: wxbase28d.lib (wx widgets), alld.lib (allegro (its simplicity
helps built some nice custom UIs)), all Microsoft's libs (msvcrtd.lib,
etc) and many others.

I've got to write a new version of an application for our client. The
previous version had some huge memory management problems (a million
lines of 10-year old C++ code modified several times can't practically
survive without these problems) which I plan to solve using your gc.

The problem is that Visual Studio 2005 insists to deny running the debug
version of any program linked to the release version of gc.lib.

The project files will be given to the client, so I can not mix debug
and release versions of libraries (client requirement).

All the above means that I am stuck: either I don't use the gc and try
to do my best with manual memory management or some magic hand renames
the debug targets with a suffix...