[Gc] Instructions for compiling the gc under VC8-win32

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Dec 10 15:25:35 PST 2007

Certainly if someone wants to improve the documentation, I'm all in favor.

As far as more major restructuring is concerned, that's often trickier than it seems.  I'm not opposed to clear improvements, but some of the current structure actually has reasons behind it.  I'm not anxious to move to the usual "separate platform-dependent code into separate source files" organization, at least not without a fair amount of thought.  It's important to me that code that can be (even partially) shared between even a small number of platforms remains shared.  The thread support code is somewhat factored for different platforms, but not entirely.  There is partial sharing between the generic pthread support and Darwin, for example.  It's not at all clear to me that there is a better way to restructure this without major code duplication.

My other major constraint, as is probably apparent from my occasional unresponsiveness, is that I have limited time to invest in this.  Again volunteers are welcome.

As far as building under VC++ is concerned, I generally start a "Visual Studio Command Prompt" window.  That hides the vcvars32.exe step, making this a bit more self-explanatory.  But I agree that the documentation could stand improvement.

In general, I'm sure the VC++ build process could be improved.  It's not my primary build platform.  Distributing current project files might be an improvement, if we had a maintainer for those.