[Gc] GC 6.8 & PowerPC

jim marshall jim.marshall at wbemsolutions.com
Fri Dec 14 11:11:37 PST 2007

We are still using GC 6.8, we are experimenting porting our application
over to a PowerPC Linux based platform. The first task is to compile the
GC, this is not going so well. I have built GCC 4.1.0 cross compiler for
PowerPC 860 (using the Crosstools script). I then try to build the GC as
follows:

[gc6.8]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/jmars/memory/ppc
--enable-gc-assertions --enable-static=no --enable-threads=posix --host=ppc
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-none
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-none
checking GC version numbers... major=6 minor=8
checking for ppc-ranlib...
/opt/crosstool/gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.3.6/powerpc-860-linux-gnu//bin/powerpc-860-linux-gnu-ranlib
configure: error: "Pthreads not supported by the GC on this platform."

What is the correct threading model?

Any other pointers on doing this welcome (this is the first time I've
tried to cross-compile something)

Thanks

--
Jim Marshall